let me take you on a carousel ride
about:


This blog is created for the module:
ES2007S
Professional Communications

Sectional Teaching Group 5 7


me:


I AM GWEN.
★ glam@nus.edu.sg

If I had a world of my own,
everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is,
because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise,what is, it wouldn't be.
And what it wouldn't be,it would.


links:


For course info, please click here.

Check out their blogs:

Dongfang
Jake
Joel
Michelle
Pei En
Rachel


Russell
Kesleen
Jason
Ximin
Luigi
Keerth
Jasmine

Application letter Friday, September 4, 2009 12:19 AM
The details of the job that I am applying for are as follow.

Company
Megachem Ltd

Position
Sales (Food & Beverage industry specializing in bakery, meat or beverage)

Roles & Responsibilities
- Market and sell a wide range of specialty chemical products
- Retain and expand sales to existing customers
- Develop new sales accounts
- Maintain customer credit discipline
- Evaluate and manage sales performance
- Provide pre and post sales services to maintain good working relationship with customers
- Coordinate sending of product samples and seek timely feedback
- Prepare quotation and follow-up
- Maintain customer credit discipline
- Prepare monthly sales related reports
- Other ad-hoc projects or duties as and when necessary


Experience & Qualification
- Degree/Diploma in Chemistry/ Chemical Engineering/ Food Science/ Food Technology or equivalent
- Ideally the candidate should have at least 2 years working experience in sales or technical support role in the above stated industries
- Diploma in Marketing can be considered
- Able to communicate in English and in Mandarin (To liaise with Chinese speaking clients)
- Self confident, have good communication skills and enjoy the process of selling and meeting with people
- Willing to travel

- Preferably with some working knowledge of SAP systems, MS Excel and Power Point presentation

Mode of submission
Please e-mail your resume including expected salary and recent photograph to mgs_hr@sg.megachem.com , not later than 18 September 2009
For more information on our Company, please visit our website at www.megachem.com

For the actual job advertisement, please click here.

My application letter is as follow:
______________________________________________________________________

3rd September 2009


Dear Sir/Madam


I am writing to express my keen interest in the sales position (Food & Beverage industry) that your esteemed company is offering. I have come to know of this vacancy via the JobsCentral portal. I am confident that I possess the qualification and qualities required to perform in this position.


I am an undergraduate, in the honors year, pursuing Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering in the National University of Singapore. After the first year of study, I was awarded the Executive Development scholarship with SPRING Singapore.


Always up for a challenge, I participated in a myriad of activities that have honed my communication and leadership skills. As the Special Projects Director in my faculty club and the Business manager for my hall’s annual musical production, I have led teams of 8-10 members and successfully organized a series of large-scale events. In addition to marketing and promoting the ticket sales of the abovementioned events, I have liaised with external contacts, both in English and Mandarin, to source for sponsors and advertisers. Therefore, I believe that I am equipped with excellent interpersonal communication skills that are essential for creating rapport with new and existing clients and thus boost sales for your company.


I am also a fast and eager learner. During my 3-month stint with SPRING Singapore, I was able to adapt and absorb new information quickly so as to assist with the annual review of the Local Enterprise and Association Development (LEAD) program and the organization and planning of the annual LEAD forum. Therefore, I am confident that I will be able to adapt quickly and pick up new skills that are necessary to excel in this position.


I hope to be given an opportunity to meet with you and discuss a potential career with your esteemed company. My resume is as attached and I will be glad to provide any further information, should the need arise. I can be contacted at the address and email indicated below. I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely


Gwendoline Lam Mei Jun


698C Hougang Street 52 #11-29
Singapore 533698
Mobile: +65 9123 4567
Email: glam@nus.edu.sg
______________________________________________________________________

I look forward to hearing your comments on how I can further improve on the above application letter! (:


★Posted by g.



There are 4 comments!

Blogger Jake Nguyen Thanh Long commented at September 5, 2009 at 9:11 PM  :

Hey Gwen,

I would thank you for the very enjoyable discussion with you in our class, and for your helpful comment.

Now I am gonna comment on your letter.

The format seems to be carefully sharpened. No more ideas on it. :)

I would say I like your ways of writing about your experiences and skills gained from them. It is quite "short and sweet" (I have just realized that I love to use the phrase "short and sweet" since Sherlynn and Andrey's Presentation. haha). Okay, get back to the letter, personally, I think you're pretty capable of linking the experience you have and the job requirement briefly, yet smartly.

From your post, I would refer a bit to mine. "Quick and eager learner" is included in my job requirement, but not in yours. However, this extra information about you would be seriously helpful and could cause attention to the readers.

With this nit picker's post, I can not find any mistake in grammar as well as in vocabulary use.
Any other bloggers can help me ?

haha.

Cheers,

Jake

Blogger Pei En commented at September 6, 2009 at 7:30 AM  :

Hi Gwen,

I really liked how strongly you substantiated your capabilities in paragraph 3. It is a good and detailed description that will tell your potential employer about your many abilities and skills (e.g marketing skills, communication skills, leadership skills).

The organization of your points is clear and your language concise and understandable. There isn't much to fault, is there?

Pei En

Blogger Michelle commented at September 6, 2009 at 7:54 AM  :

Hello Gwen,

your letter gives me a concise picture of your work potential. The experiences and qualification you mentioned are relevant to the job requirements.

Minor problem I have with your letter is that you mentioned you were the business manager for your hall. I am not sure if your employer knows what hall is. Perhaps you could say Residence hall?

Other than that, your letter is courteous and persuasive. It does convince me you are the right candidate for the job. :)

Regards,
Mich

Anonymous Best Website Hosting commented at May 25, 2011 at 3:37 AM  :

your letter give me some strength for me. its really fabulous comments for this topic. thanks to share this one.

Post your comment here!