let me take you on a carousel ride
about:


This blog is created for the module:
ES2007S
Professional Communications

Sectional Teaching Group 5 7


me:


I AM GWEN.
★ glam@nus.edu.sg

If I had a world of my own,
everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is,
because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise,what is, it wouldn't be.
And what it wouldn't be,it would.


links:


For course info, please click here.

Check out their blogs:

Dongfang
Jake
Joel
Michelle
Pei En
Rachel


Russell
Kesleen
Jason
Ximin
Luigi
Keerth
Jasmine

Is this a superficial world? Saturday, October 31, 2009 4:12 AM
Just moments ago, I was watching the latest episode of America's Next Top Model and one of the models I fancied winning the reality TV show was just booted out of the competition. She is vivacious, charismatic and not to mention, talented. Then why was she eliminated? Oh, because she had gained 10lbs over the course of the competition. Though it seems justified in a world where models are preferred to be stick-thin and a size zero, it did, however, get me thinking about how superficial we have all become. Look at how most of us have progressed from the naked bodies of Adam and Eve to avant-garde-wearing models strutting the runway. This may be from a strictly fashion aspect but haven't we all, in other aspects of our life, judged another by his appearance?

Employers think that better-dressed applicants are more capable. Consumers think that posh restaurants will have cleaner and tastier food. Sales personnels think that the well-dressed individuals are the potential customers while the sloppily-dressed ones are a waste of their time and effort. Then there's the fancy advertisements and marketing tactics we all fall for.

All this obsession with appearances can sometimes distract us from focusing on the important elements - the individual, the content etc. Are you confident that you won't let appearances get in the way assuming you have a choice between either an applicant who is averagely presentable or one who is immaculately well-groomed and fashionable? Don't we all secretly wish our other halves are hard-bodied hunks and babes sometimes?

At the same time, I am not saying that being superficial is bad. It is a necessary evil we all practise to help us get by more easily and quickly. We don't review every restaurant or product before trying it out, do we? Most times, we simply pick out the highly-advertised or more presentable brands.

My point is that we all have to accept that the world is indeed looking and judging everything by its appearance. We can't run from it but we can better prepare ourselves for it. At the same time, we should recognise how appearances have affected our own judgement of others and ponder if it is justified.

For example, even the type of paper upon which I present my resume and application letter does affect its overall quality and how the recruiters will judge my effort. Sometimes, appearances matter even in the tiniest detail. Looks like Reese Witherspoon got it right with her perfumed resume in Legally Blonde. Nevertheless, I'm glad that I've realised this in ES2007S before I step into the harsh and possibly even more superficial working world.

Hmmm.... looks like we all better SUIT UP for the presentation! Hahaha.


★Posted by g.



There are 2 comments!

Blogger BOBAG commented at November 15, 2009 at 7:18 PM  :

Hi Gwen,
Guess after a long time, I am still the only one to post. ha. Anyway, I do agree that the world works very superficially, and that is probably why our eyes are so near the brain.

But I do feel we are too superficial till I feel it is excessive at times, especially when it comes to dressing up for presentations.

Then again, I am not the one judging me, so I do guess I have to fall in line still.

cheers

Anonymous Best Website Hosting commented at May 25, 2011 at 3:35 AM  :

Hi Gween,

your comments are really superb. i like your quotes and habits. your hard work never fail for this example only i learned in your blog.

Post your comment here!